Saturday 18 February 2012

Food glorious food!

How is it Saturday again?!?!  Pretty sure I was going to get some crafting done this week but alas it doesn't seem to have happened.  But I have been thinking about things so I'm already to go once I get some free time - whatever that is!

I have however been busy in the kitchen.  Isaac's got his appetite back which is nice and despite hubby's best attempts to tempt us with take away before the end of the month we have resisted.  I made a white loaf of bread by hand on Tuesday - this was a Nigella recipe which worked surprisingly well (I have a love hate relationship with Nigella; I adore her domestic goddess book but some of recipes tend to be very hit and miss).  Thursday nights tea was HM wholemeal bread from the breadmaker (just sometimes there isn't time for all the kneading!  This was lovely though and I put the machine on and then we went down the road for our singing group and came back to the house smelling of freshly cooked bread - mmmmmmmm!!) and Rachel Allen's  Chorizo & Chickpea Soup.  This was blooming lovely - although I used thinly sliced Chorizo as I ordered the wrong thing from Asda and I only used about half a litre of stock (just vegetable stock powder) as that looked liquidy enough (ok the rest wouldn't fit in the saucepan!!!!!!) I also used passata  (my new addiction) and I realise now I didn't put the spinach in at the end - ooooops! Oh well it still tasted nice.

Last night we had my home made chinese.  This consists of homemade egg fried rice which my husband insists on making and prawn crackers.  I then make peanut noodles - soak noodles in boiling water while everything else cooks and then make the dressing:  tbsp of peanut butter, soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce and boiling hot water - I just do this by eye till there is about a third of a cup full.  Pour this over the noodles and then put in a pan and heat until the sauce goes all thick and bubbly.  I also do a chicken dish - cook some cubed chicken in olive oil and then take out and keep warm.  Fry spring onions, chilli and garlic for half a min and then put the chicken back in with some hoisin sauce, soy sauce and cashew nuts and heat until bubbly and then serve.  Again I don't use specific amounts but I do use the tubes of garlic and chilli (for everything - so very handy).  Generally if I am making this I will serve up the chicken and then put the noodles in the same pan so it catches up any left over peanut buttery loveliness.

Tonight we are having more peanut butter - love the stuff (although still too scared to give it to Isaac).  I've got chicken cubes marinating in peanut butter, curry powder, lemon juice, chilli sauce, soy sauce and a bit of garlic.  Will then cook in the oven (you can make them into kebabs on sticks) and then serve with lettuce in pitta bread with chips - can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment