Saturday 25 February 2012

Busy, busy, busy

I'm not sure if it's the fact I've been eating much better, been taking a good vitamin pill, that Isaac has got over his growth spurt/development leap/ill health/whatever it was that was making him a grumpy moo and has now gone back to being a content albeit mobile little sausage and is sleeping much better or that the sun has been shining and there are whispers of spring but my energy levels are very good at the moment and much crafting has been happening!!  Also despite the healthy eating so has some cooking.

Here is Sunday's results from a morning in the kitchen:


We had chicken, leek and bacon pie for dinner which was surprisingly easy to make.  Fried some leeks in oil and then added chicken thighs and bacon and fried for a bit and then added sweet potatoes and some thyme and two tablespoons of flour.  Then when this has cooked a bit add 200ml of stock and simmer for 20 mins.  Pop in a tin and top with puff pastry (shop bought - lifes too short!!) and cook for 50 mins.  

Also in the picture is a plum and apple crumble and Mary Berry's chocolate traybake - which is AMAZING!!!!!! This is an all in one chocolate cake topped with melted chocolate mixed with icing sugar - mmmmmmmm!!  There was enough to put half in the freezer.....ok I had to put half in there to stop me eating it all! 

Other bakes this week include two loaves of white bread (the Rachel Allen's honey wholemeal bread recipe - but I used all white flour for a change and this produced a much nicer loaf) and tuna croquettes for the little sausage - which he loved.....as did mummy!!  These were from the BLW cookbook - although I tweaked the recipe a bit.  I microwaved a couple of baking potatoes and scooped out the middles and mixed this with a tin of tuna, some lemon juice and a bit of marg.  I shaped these into small sausage shapes and covered in breadcrumbs (I always whizz up any stale bread into crumbs and freeze it so I always have some to hand - used these from frozen and they were fine)  I then popped them in the oven for 20 mins.  Isaac loved them and had them 3 days running!  They were great for him to feed himself with and also for me to break bits of to feed to him when he got lazy!! 

And so to the crafting...

I've finished my mothers day present - painted candle holders, which are baby food jars that I have painted with my new glass painting pens, which I have packaged up into chiffon bags and tied with raffia all things that I had in my craft box









I then found some flower pots in the garage that I had already painted:

 I had some booklets of decoupaged papers which I cut out and then stuck onto the pots with a mixture of PVA glue and water.  I am then going to put some little flowering plants in these nearer the time (so I don't kill them before the day arrives!!)
My last project of the week was to turn this broken mirror 

Into this for Isaac's birthday - its to hang on his wall.  I ordered some buttons and then used card and paper that I already had for the I and background.  I sanded the frame down after taking out the mirror and painted it with a light blue tester pot.  Really hope he likes it!!

Right next stop - my mums hen party invites although I have cheated with these and have bought some notelets that just need filling in!   I also cheated and bought a cake at a farmers market today so no baking for me tomorrow.....although might be making some sausage rolls! 


No comments:

Post a Comment